Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Donuts and Destiny

Today, I was sitting in a morning meeting, minding my own business when BAM!!! Temptation in the form of a chocolate-coated, deep fried, circle of doughy goodness arrived. One of my co-workers, in an act of kindness, brought donuts to work for us.

Just seeing the white box in her hands produced in me a Pavlovian drool response not unlike that of a St. Bernard's. I wasn't even near the box and yet I could still imagine the yummy scents that were no doubt emanating from that square box of love.

I do love donuts....ever so much. But....I resisted. Yahoo me!

I was feeling pretty good about that epic display of willpower when another co-worker announced that she was having DEATH BY CHOCOLATE cake brought into the therapy room to celebrate her birthday. All were welcome to stop by and get some at lunch. Oh, how I wanted to stop by. I mean, I really wanted to stop by. I am sure you can relate. Chocolate is proof that Jesus loves us and wants us to be happy.

I do love chocolate cake....ever so much. But...I resisted. Yahoo me!

Later in the afternoon, I went into the resident dining room to check on the resident birthday party. More cake. More ice cream. This time however, I decided it would be okay to have a little. So I went over fully intending to get a small piece of chocolate cake but I noticed that there was also pound cake and sugar-free cheesecake ice cream. I decided to go for that. Not my usual fair...but I was really trying to keep myself in check.

I do love birthday cake....ever so much. But....I love my family more and they deserve a healthy, energetic wife and mother. So, pound cake it is. Yahoo me!

I read somewhere that each time you resist temptation, you are strengthening receptors in your brain that controls impulses. I was thinking about that today because I resisted a lot of temptation!

I never realized how many pitfalls there are out there when one is trying to get healthy and make healthy choices. I guess the big difference for me today was that I was more aware of the pitfalls. Last week, I would have grazed without a second thought. Today I was trying to give it not only a second thought but a third and a fourth one if necessary.

I know I may not always be able to resist...but today I did and I consider that in itself a success.

Yahoo!




No comments:

Post a Comment